Building Sustainable Homes with Angela Cellitti:
Our world’s climate is changing at an unprecedented rate and more than likely because of human interactions with our world.
- Students will create Minecraft worlds illustrating the process of climate change within the atmosphere and physical earth.
- Students will design and build a sustainable home on sustainable land to withstand the process of climate change.
- Students will make design changes as they research the connections with the real world related to the creation of environmentally sustainable homes.
- Students will construct an argument supported by evidence for how plants and animals (including humans) can change the environment to meet their needs.
- Students will build a sustainable home that can withstand weather changes and help human survival.
- Students will create a real-world sustainable home that simulates possibilities of future experiences.
Guiding ideas for Building Sustainable Homes
- If the earth were inhabitable, what would that look like?
- What is climate change?
- What is the difference between climate change in the atmosphere versus the physical earth?
- What can we do to slow process of climate change?
- How can we slow the process of climate change?
- How can we design and build sustainable environments such as homes and land?
Independent or cooperative group activity choices
• Option One: Design and create an environmentally sustainable plot of land with an environmentally sustainable home.
• Option Two: Design and create an environmentally sustainable plot of land with an environmentally sustainable building or business.